"Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food."
~Hippocrates

Friday, April 17, 2015

A One Pot Pasta Dish- Review

Our family eats quite a bit of pasta (we're really not the "meat and potatoes" kind of people). One thing I hate about making pasta dishes is all the dirty dishes it creates! Since I need gluten-free noodles, but Kevin and Em prefer non-gluten-free, I usually end up boiling 2 separate pots of noodles. And on top of that, I usually end up cooking the veggies in another pan on the stove. So that makes for a total of 3 pots!
I decided to hop on the "one-pot pasta dish" trend and give it a try. Granted, if I'm preparing the meal in one pot, Kevin and Em have to put up with gluten-free noodles, but I'm the cook so I get to call the shots!
 
My first attempt was a Turkey Tettrazini meal. I'm giving this dish a mediocre review. It was tasty and convenient, but I think I need to play around with it a little more. Also, I used my cast iron pot and had problems with the noodles sticking to the bottom. I think I didn't use enough liquid.
Since this wasn't a home run, I'm not going to share the recipe. (Plus, I don't really remember the recipe....but check out Pinterest for tons of recipes!)
I still like the idea of the One Pot Pasta Dish though!
Here are the basic steps:
  1. Saute veggies in butter/oil
  2. Add liquid (water or borth) the amount seems like too much, but trust me, it's better not to skimp on this step!
  3. Add uncooked pasta
  4. Let cook (I think my recipe called for 20-30 minutes)
  5. Add cooked meat(if desired) I used leftover shredded turkey
  6. I added spinach at the end as well
  7. Finish of with seasonings and cheese and stir together!
How's that for some poor instructions?? I blame pregnancy brain! I would suggest that you find an actual recipe off of Pinterest if you are trying a One Pot Pasta Dish for the first time.
Maybe after a little more practice I will have a better recipe to share with you!



No comments:

Post a Comment